Request for Proposal: Takeoff - Institutional Innovations for College Men of Color
March 07, 2023
Takeoff: Institutional Innovations for College Men of Color is a project supported by ECMC Foundation and led by the USC Race and Equity Center to fund and provide technical support to 12 community colleges nationwide that are advancing programs to support men of color on their campuses.
This project is made possible by support from ECMC Foundation and is a part of our broader $20 million commitment to transform the higher education ecosystem for Black, Latinx, Southeast Asian and Native American men. ECMC Foundation’s Men of Color Initiative aims to increase degree attainment by:
- Developing new programs for men of color and strengthening the effectiveness of existing programs on college campuses.
- Addressing structural and systemic factors at the campus and systems levels related to the intersection of racial, ethnic and gender inequities.
- Building and expanding networks and partnerships to support men of color across various college campuses.
About this Request for Proposal
Takeoff: Institutional Innovations for College Men of Color invites community colleges nationwide to submit proposals for one of twelve funding and support opportunities. Through this project, the USC Race and Equity Center will subgrant and provide technical support to colleges leading innovations that advance postsecondary outcomes for men of color.
Each participating college will receive $75,000 to fund existing or aspiring efforts to support men of color over the course of two academic years.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Any community college with a demonstrated commitment and plan to supporting and advancing student success for men of color on their campus is eligible to submit a proposal. A team from the USC Race and Equity Center will evaluate all submitted proposals using the following criteria:
- Feasibility of the proposed efforts. Existing and future efforts must be achievable within the timeframe of this project.
- Focus on men of color. Although proposals submitted can inevitably advance equitable outcomes more broadly, the proposed efforts must be laser-focused on supporting the success of men of color.
- Approaching the work with key values. Ability to articulate the values guiding the proposed project.
- Innovative ways to advance success. The proposed efforts must be novel and include different ways to ensure success for men of color.
RFP Application Deadline: Apr 10, 2023
Read the full RFP, including eligibility requirements, selection criteria and application instructions to learn more.
If you missed our information session about Takeoff, check out the recording of that session here.
Questions? Contact Wilmon A. Christian III, EdD - Director of Workplace Equity, USC Race and Equity Center.